Friday, July 30, 2010

Wild Huckleberry Bread

Many of you know that I have a penchant for wild huckleberries. Red, blue, it doesn't matter which variety. I just want to eat them. We pick these wild, tart berries every year, up on some property near Index, WA. You may have read my last year's post called Huckleberry Sweet and Sorrow Tart.

This year was an excellent crop. Just the right amount of sun and rain made them plump and perfect. What didn't go into the kid's mouths, went into to our bucket. Oh, how we could have plundered without the babes! Then again, I'd have missed baby girl's exclamation at every single berry, "Bewwy!", and her chubby little hands stuffing handfuls into her sweet cheeks. 

We promised Eric's mom some berry something when she visits in August. Let me tell you, the stock is dwindling. She may just get a few frozen berries on yogurt for breakfast.

I coralled my son the day after berry pickin' to help me make this bread. I used a recipe in the Joy of Cooking for a baseline of ratios, but made it up as we went along. We ate the entire loaf throughout the day. I think my husband got one slice. Maybe.

Wild Huckleberry Bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 loaf pan.

Whisk together:
1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, beat on high:
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup sugar

Gradually beat in:
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
3 T maple syrup

Add the flour mixture in three parts, beating on low or handmixing until just combined. Fold in 1 cup of wild huckleberries. (You may substitute 1/2 cup of dried berries and 1/2 cup chopped pecans).

Bake 45 minutes. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before unmolding from pan to further cool before slicing. Dust with powdered sugar.

6 comments:

  1. That has to be one of the best looking bread I have ever seen. I have never tried Huckleberries ... but I think I am going to try some soon :-)

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE huckleberries! That bread is absolutely gorgeous--good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this for breakfast this morning, it is excellent! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the dark huckleberries in my freezer from near Mt Adams/Mt St Helens and was looking for a good bread recipe. I'm going to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try this! We got 3 gallons of blue huckberries this year near Chewelah, WA

    ReplyDelete